Thursday, May 3, 2012

MY FLORIDA GARDENING JOURNAL




NOTE Everything you plant from seed, start in a pot!!!! Florida's soil is too sandy & acidic to start seeds in!!! Then, amend the soil we store bought Garden Soil, once the seeds have started growing!!! From seed I have successfully started, Cosmos, Sunflower. Just today planted tomatoes from seed!! I had some sun-dried tomatoes in the house. I took about 6 pieces which had some seeds still in them and planted them in a pot with good soil in it & watered well. Also, last week, planted hot peppers in a pot. About 4 years ago, I decided to plant some succulents. This spring two of the four succulents had flowers. The big bright white blossom above, is from a small cactus about 4 yrs old!! This is the 1st time it has flowered!! Apparently, it is one which flowers for only one day - I wonder, if I'll have to wait another 4 years for the next bloom. One week ago, I planted herbs - parsley, sweet basil, mint, & chives. These were not from seed - but they are doing really well anyway!! My cannas have come back to life and are also, soing well. AND to finish off the gardening I have grapes growing in my yard - WOW!! And, I thought my green thumb had turned real dark brown - maybe even black!!! Moral of story, Gardening Requires Patience & Time! Fortunetly, I have lots of both!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment